Had to retire my horse today
Bernadette & Fred
2006-06-08 23:26:12 UTC
Hi all I just had to retire my mare today its the first time I have ever had
to do this with any of my horses she had a heart condition that they couldnt
do anything about My gelding who shared with her is going crazy he seems to
take no notice of the other horses he just stares and winnies at the gate
where she left its heart breaking to watch. I just wondered if anyone else
has gone through this and how they coped.
Cheers Bernadette
E. laBrett Ruus
2006-06-09 01:12:11 UTC
Post by Bernadette & Fred
Hi all I just had to retire my mare today its the first time I have ever had
to do this with any of my horses she had a heart condition that they couldnt
do anything about My gelding who shared with her is going crazy he seems to
take no notice of the other horses he just stares and winnies at the gate
where she left its heart breaking to watch. I just wondered if anyone else
has gone through this and how they coped.
Is "retire" yet another euphemism, like "euthanized" or "put to sleep"
or did you foist this animal, and its problems, off on someone else?

Gelding will get over it soon enough. I predict that dinner will help
ease his momentary confusion.
Bernadette
2006-06-09 03:36:17 UTC
not such a friendly person are you yes she had to be put down as she was
suffering I was hoping to get some friendly advice but you come across as
harsh its people like you who dont smile in the street do you come on here
to make people feel worse so your day feels better?
John J Ernst
2006-06-09 06:47:39 UTC
When I read "retire" I thought (and was hoping) that you meant that you
didn't ride her anymore.
One of our mares died of a twisted bowl.on New Years eve. It hit my
daughters and I pretty hard, (My oldest sat by her while holding her head
in her lap.) and like you one of our geldings really missed her. As they
say, "Time heals all wounds" He will rejoin your herd in his own time.

John Ernst

"If my children bemoan my passing, give them light of heart.
The Gods have granted me a mount.
Gray as clouds, swift as wind, hooves of thunder.
Her name is Storm"
E. laBrett Ruus
2006-06-09 13:44:39 UTC
Post by Bernadette
not such a friendly person are you yes she had to be put down as she was
suffering I was hoping to get some friendly advice but you come across as
harsh its people like you who dont smile in the street do you come on here
to make people feel worse so your day feels better?
So, what do you look forward to when you are "retired" from your career?
Please don't use words like "retire" when you actuall mean "euthanised".
I'm glad I don't know you, your penchant for euphemism is highly
disturbing.
James Rau
2006-06-24 05:35:43 UTC
On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:44:39 GMT, E. laBrett Ruus
Post by E. laBrett Ruus
I'm glad I don't know you, your penchant for euphemism is highly
disturbing.
As is your penchant for mean-spiritedness...

James Rau

Bellabooja
2006-06-10 21:16:28 UTC
Hi, Bernadette, so sorry for your loss. I also didn't realize you had
to put your mare down when you said retire... Your guy will go back to
the herd in his own time, did he get a chance to sniff her body and
know she was gone?