Donations of tack needed
John J Ernst
2006-08-20 15:47:44 UTC
I just returned from a week long mission trip at the Rosebud Lakota
Reservation.

A woman there is attempting to teach the youth reasonability, pride and
self-reliance by riding and caring for horses.
She explained to me that the had plenty of horses, but what they did need
was tack and saddles.

Please, if you have any tack or saddles that is not being used, put it to a
good use, no matter the shape of it, please send it to:

Russ and Donna Masartis
Tree of Life Ministry
140 SO. Roosevelt, PO Box 149
Mission, SD 57555

John J Ernst
E. laBrett Ruus
2006-08-20 16:27:11 UTC
Post by John J Ernst
I just returned from a week long mission trip at the Rosebud Lakota
Reservation.
A woman there is attempting to teach the youth reasonability, pride and
self-reliance by riding and caring for horses.
She explained to me that the had plenty of horses, but what they did need
was tack and saddles.
How about doing car washes, yard sales, odd jobs, collecting & recycling
cans, things like that, your friend and her youth would learn more about
responsibility, pride and self reliance that way, than by begging for
handouts from anonymous strangers. Isn't that what perpetuates the
social problems in reservations and ghettos in the first place?
NotSoNutSo
2006-08-20 18:56:20 UTC
Wrongly Attempting Independent Thought, E. laBrett Ruus
Post by E. laBrett Ruus
Post by John J Ernst
She explained to me that the had plenty of horses, but what they did need
was tack and saddles.
How about doing car washes, yard sales, odd jobs, collecting & recycling
cans, things like that, your friend and her youth would learn more about
responsibility, pride and self reliance that way, than by begging for
handouts from anonymous strangers. Isn't that what perpetuates the
social problems in reservations and ghettos in the first place?
What a racist statement!

Sure, they could have bake sales, car washes, etc, if they were
looking to buy brand new tack... I dont think that was the goal. The
goal was to teach the children horsemanship, as well as develop other
self-reliant traits.

Besides, even a highly successful car wash probably wouldnt net
enough for one saddle. If every member of the reservation bought a
cupcake, they could only buy a few bridles and bits

They were ASKING, not BEGGING

If you dont wish to donate, DO NOT, but keep your racist opinions to
yourself.

N.S.N.S.
John J Ernst
2006-08-21 01:22:46 UTC
Post by E. laBrett Ruus
Post by John J Ernst
[...]
Thank you for your response.
I don't think many know what the income per family at Rosebud is between
$3700 and $4200 per year.
How does someone eat and buy tack on an income like that?

John Ernst
Alison Hiltabidle
2006-08-21 14:09:02 UTC
Post by E. laBrett Ruus
Post by John J Ernst
[...]
John, I'll look around and see what I can find. Do they care if it's
english or western? I'd suppose that they would rather have western
tack, but I do have some english that is not being used...
John J Ernst
2006-08-21 17:52:44 UTC
Post by Alison Hiltabidle
Post by E. laBrett Ruus
Post by John J Ernst
[...]
Allison

Thank you for your support and understanding.

I pretty sure they would prefer western, but am I'm sure that any style
would be greatly appreciated .

Please list your name on all donations, let the Lakota youth know someone
cares.

Send any donations to:

Russ and Donna Masartis
Tree of Life Ministry
140 SO. Roosevelt, PO Box 149
Mission, SD 5755

Thank you

John Ernst
j***@nospam.com
2006-08-24 07:01:49 UTC
Post by E. laBrett Ruus
Post by John J Ernst
[...]
I agree. What an asshole. With all the scams these days, I do
thoroughly check out charties and non-profits before I donate things.
But I am not a cold hearted racist. I do agree they are looking for
used tack. I wish I could help.

Jen

John J Ernst
2006-08-21 01:12:04 UTC
Post by E. laBrett Ruus
Post by John J Ernst
I just returned from a week long mission trip at the Rosebud Lakota
Reservation.
A woman there is attempting to teach the youth reasonability, pride and
self-reliance by riding and caring for horses.
She explained to me that the had plenty of horses, but what they did need
was tack and saddles.
How about doing car washes, yard sales, odd jobs, collecting & recycling
cans, things like that, your friend and her youth would learn more about
responsibility, pride and self reliance that way, than by begging for
handouts from anonymous strangers. Isn't that what perpetuates the
social problems in reservations and ghettos in the first place?
Ok I'll tell her what you suggested, but only if you and your friends go and
buy their baked goods, get your cars washed and buy what little they can
part with at a garage sale.

There are no job's to be had in the area. With no jobs there is no hope.
With no hope there is no pride. What she is doing is trying to do is instill
the pride of achievement in her students in hope the rest will follow. If
they have this respect for themselves maybe they won't turn to alcohol or
drugs. This is why she would like the had-me-down tack. It is not only to
use, but to refurbish if need be.

You are either an ass or you live in your own world and don't have a clue of
how the real one works.

These people are not asking for new tack and saddles, all they want is
something that no one uses anymore. It could be just a dust collector or a
piece of crap that the devil himself has thrown away.

John Ernst