10 Acres. Stables and Horses - Help
Rebecca
2004-01-10 19:03:07 UTC
I have recently acquired a Farmhouse with 10 acres and Stables which i am
living in and enjoying immensely.

However, its seems a great shame that the 10 acres and the stables are not
being used to their potential, I have also had a great passion for horses
and so therefore, I am thinking about having two, to keep each other company
and for light hacking with me and my family.
I have been taking private riding lessons for 5 months now and feel pretty
confident that i can handle this.

So, having never kept horses before i need to know generally about the cost,
how much does it cost to shoe, feed, worm, clip, and anything else i have
forgotten?
Can they be left out all day to graze and our stables are 10ft by 10ft, is
this big enough?
How often are they shoed?
Do they need to be ridden everyday?
We have automatic water feeders in the fields, but not in the stables, are
buckets ok?
D STEINER
2004-01-14 17:12:23 UTC
Hi Rebecca,

There are plenty of sources for information on horsekeeping including the
internet & books. I suggest you do your research before you buy a horse.

Costs can vary depending on where you live. Have a talk with your
instructor, they can give you much of the information you seek.

10x10 is an ok size for stalls. I leave the horses out as much as possible,
they are born grazers. As for water, buckets are fine, if they are kept
full and cleaned weekly, unless you have a dunker (dunks feed and/or hay in
water) then they need cleaning at least every other day.

dimntd :o)
Dana Compton
2004-01-14 20:41:16 UTC
for more responses post on
rec.equestrian
mortin
2004-05-24 13:52:02 UTC
Check out www.FloridaHorseTrader.com there is good info there and you can
find out people to contact.
May be also www.floridahorse.com
buckets ok?
Elise Moss
2004-06-01 16:50:36 UTC
Well, I am not sure about the costs in Florida...since I am in California,
but I will give you what info I can.

Two horses definitely better than one as they need the company.

You can use large water buckets in stalls instead of automatic water
feeders, but you will need to check them daily.

They do not need to be ridden every day. If you keep them in a pasture,
they will exercise themselves. If you keep them in a paddock, they should
be exercised a minimum of 30 minutes three times a week. Exercise can be as
simple as lunging them in a round pen if you don't have time to tack them up
and ride.

They can be left in pasture 24-7, but there should be a shelter for shade
and wind. The shelter can be as simple as a four posts with a tin roof.
Just something to protect them in the event of a storm and to provide shade.

The 10x10 stalls are good for during bad storms or inclement weather.

Horses need to be shod every 8-10 weeks. You could also keep your horses
barefoot, which is what I do...no shoes at all. Shoes cost about $120 per
time. A trim, which is all that is required if your horse is barefoot, is
about $40. You want to shoe your horses if you plan to walk them on
pavement, rough terrain, or keep them in a small stall for long periods.
Pastured horses do not need shoes. However, if you buy horses with shoes
and decide to keep them barefoot, you need to give them some time to adjust
after removing the shoes before you ride them. It takes about three months
for them to fully adjust to no shoes.

Feed is usually a flake of alfalfa in the morning and a flake of hay in the
afternoon. You also may wish to supplement with grain or beet pulp. Feed
runs about $50/month per horse.

Horses need to be dewormed every other month. If you buy dewormers over the
internet (check out the prices at www.countrysupply.com), they run $5-$6 a
tube.

Vet checks are required twice a year. The vet will vaccinate your horse,
clean the sheath (if you have a gelding), and float his teeth. Horses'
teeth constantly grow - kind of like rabbits - and they need to have their
teeth filed down at least once a year. A standard vet check with no dental
work runs about $80. Dental work runs about $50.

Tack (saddles, bridles, blankets, halters, lead ropes, etc.) can be fairly
expensive. I prefer to buy at a show or at a store rather than over the
internet. You can pick up a used saddle for as little as $200. If you go
to a tack swap meet, you can also pick up some good used tack at better
prices.

Again, these are California prices...your prices may be less or more
depending on your area. Since you are taking riding lessons, your riding
instructor would be a great resource. He/she may even be able to help you
find the horses you want to buy. In fact, I recommend you bring your
instructor or someone knowledgeable with you when you look at horses. That
way you can be sure they are appropriate for you. You want a horse that you
can handle and in good health.

All the best and good luck!
buckets ok?
John Smith
2005-11-09 02:59:56 UTC
Check this Cheap Tack Shop also for saddles starting at $90 +

www.saddleonline.com

use coupon code 'LOYAL' at check out for 25% discount.

Thanks,
John
Post by mortin
buckets ok?
Sarge
2005-11-16 02:27:53 UTC
Post by John Smith
Check this Cheap Tack Shop also for saddles starting at $90 +
www.saddleonline.com
if ya like synthetic saddles.........