FEI Championships
Droopy
2007-01-21 22:47:42 UTC
Hi! Could someone explain the FEI championships structure to me?

At the FEI web site ( http://www.horsesport.org/ ), it says that they
are responsible for 10 sports: dressage, driving, endurance, eventing,
horseball, jumping, para-equestrianism, reining, tent pegging, and
vaulting.

But the FEI World Cup web site ( http://www.feiworldcup.org/ ) only
lists 4 disciplines: dressage, driving, eventing, jumping.

And FEI World Equestrian Games web site in the USA 2010 (
http://www.feigames2010.org/ ) has 8 disciplines (the 4 World Cup
events plus endurance, para-equestrianism, reinging, and vaulting).

And the FEI World Tent Peggng Championships in Oman 2007 don't seem to
have a web site yet, but all the newspaper articles and competitors'
web sites ( http://www.maharaj.org/tentpegging.shtml ) seem to say that
they are held separately from either the World Cup or the World
Equestrian Games.

As for horseball, they don't seem to have any championships at all (
http://www.horse-ball.org/ ).

Can anyone make any sense of this for me? What's the relationship
between World Cup games and the World Equestrian Games? What happens
with the 4 disciplines that are World Equestrian Games events but not
World Cup events? What's the relationship with the World Cup, the
World Equestrian Games, and the World Tent Pegging Championships? And
is horseball just some kind of add on?

It seems pretty confusing. Can anyone sort it out for me?

Thanks!
Paula Jantunen
2007-01-22 11:31:16 UTC
Post by Droopy
Can anyone make any sense of this for me? What's the relationship
between World Cup games and the World Equestrian Games? What happens
with the 4 disciplines that are World Equestrian Games events but not
World Cup events? What's the relationship with the World Cup, the
World Equestrian Games, and the World Tent Pegging Championships? And
is horseball just some kind of add on?
It seems pretty confusing. Can anyone sort it out for me?
Thanks!
This is really only how I have figured things out in my head, and
someone is likely to correct me or in any case give you better
information, but anyway:

FEI being responsible for an equestrian sport means only something like
that FEI has taken responsibility for defining the rules of the sport
in any official international competitions that may take place.

In some of these sports, people compete for the world championship at
the FEI World Equestrian Games, which is organized every four years.
Some others organize their own separate world championship
competitions, and yet others hold no such competitions, at least not
yet.

The World Cup is an annual series of high international level
competitions where a number of people may win individual competitions
and at the end of the year, a single competitor wins the World Cup. (At
least in dressage, a WC finals competition is arranged at the end of
the season to determine the winner, so it's not just points accumulated
in the course of the season.) In a way, the World Cup is a yearly world
championship competition, but it's not really talked of as such.

Hope this is not totally off the mark and that it helps,

Paula
Celia Clarke