Need Help Hitching
ANETA NEWTON
2004-08-28 04:00:17 UTC
Hi folks,

Does anybody know of anything that can help a gal hitch up the trailer to the pickup - by herself?

Do those camera systems work - HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there such a thing as a wireless system ?

Other ideas?

Aneta
Alison
2004-08-28 10:43:53 UTC
Post by ANETA NEWTON
Hi folks,
Does anybody know of anything that can help a gal hitch up the trailer
to the pickup - by herself?
Do those camera systems work - HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there such a
thing as a wireless system ?
Other ideas?
Aneta
Hi, Aneta
What I've done is to make a mark on the tailgate of the truck (assuming
that you have a bumper pull, not a gooseneck ...) and a corresponding
mark on the front of the trailer, and lined them up. Works just about
every time.

Good luck

Alison
Spiritbrook
2004-09-01 01:23:13 UTC
Sure, cameras work, but the cheapest thing is PRACTICE. At first you'll do
a lot of backing-stopping-backing-stopping until you get used to exactly
where your hitch is and just how long your trailer tongue is. After a bit
you'll do it second nature. It's easier to learn to back without the
"goodies" then to learn to rely on them and not have them in a crucial
moment. It's important also to plan ahead and always park where you have a
good shot, hitch during daylight hours until you get really good, and don't
be afraid to ask for help when you're at a show or campground and the angle
is weird. One thing I have used in the past has been a magnet-mounted convex
mirror that I stick on the trailer where I can see it from the truck mirror,
then I have a little more confidence getting lined up. Most the time any
more, I just back in and hitch it. Another hint - be sure your trailer
tongue is raised enough to clear the ball but not the bumper so that if you
DO back too far (happens to everyone) you'll only bump the bumper, not the
tailgate.

Aneta
quietguy
2004-09-04 04:20:28 UTC
They make a neat gadget tht mounts on your tow bar - it is like a "V"
made out of heavy steel - as you back toward the trailer the trailer
hitch meets the wide open end of the V, and as you keep reversing the V
guides the trailer hitch right onto the tow ball, which of course is at
the base (narrow end) of the V.

Simple and cheap

David
If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
quietguy
2004-09-04 04:22:51 UTC
PS Don't tell the guys I said this, but it isn't just you girls that
need help hitching up trailers (but then I didn't really say that, did I?)

Best wishes from Fred (a disguised name that d***d uses some times)