OT: bells on botails ring
genericaudioperson
2007-06-10 19:39:49 UTC
Hello horse enthusiasts,

Do you think the Jingle Bells line should read
Bells on botails ring

or

Bells on botail ring

I like the plural version (it just sounds better grammatically to
me). Sometimes people get all bent out of shape and say it's one
bobtail, because it's one sled being pulled by one horse.

The way I can justify the plural is that there are several groups of
people all riding around in the snow, each in their one-horse open
sleigh. So then there would be several bobtails ringing.

I didn't know a bobtail means they cut the horses tail. That's kind
of brutal. I thought it meant they tie it up with a ribbon or
something.
Malcolm Walls
2007-06-10 21:05:45 UTC
Post by genericaudioperson
Hello horse enthusiasts,
Do you think the Jingle Bells line should read
Bells on botails ring
or
Bells on botail ring
I like the plural version (it just sounds better grammatically to
me). Sometimes people get all bent out of shape and say it's one
bobtail, because it's one sled being pulled by one horse.
The way I can justify the plural is that there are several groups of
people all riding around in the snow, each in their one-horse open
sleigh. So then there would be several bobtails ringing.
I didn't know a bobtail means they cut the horses tail. That's kind
of brutal. I thought it meant they tie it up with a ribbon or
something.
I'm pretty sure the horse's name is "Bobtail". It seems to me it was a
question in a trivia game I played once.
genericaudioperson
2007-06-11 19:22:57 UTC
It's definitely referring to the type of horse rather than the name of
the horse.