Barbaro Enters 10-3-39 in a Photo Finish
Onyx_Hokie
2007-01-29 20:19:09 UTC
[WiNK (***@yahoooooo.com)]
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:44:33 -0700]
<gp>
Damn. I had better not tell my daughter. :-(
Please explain this reaction to me, as well as the bits with the cards
and flowers, etc. Note that I'm not criticizing Anna, as she's a little
girl and little girls are often silly, overly-emotional, etc. If my
daughter was old enough (or watched enough TV) to know what Barbaro was,
she'd probably be sad, too. The cards and flowers make no sense,
though, at all.. in any Universe. Barbaro couldn't read.

It's a horse.

I understand that it'd gone through a lot, but, in the end...

It's a horse.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE animals, and believe that those who are responsible for
the care of an animal should take all possible steps to preserve said
animal's health. Still, at the end of the day...

It's a horse.

Does it suck, particularly for his trainers/keepers/owner/etc., that
Barbaro had to be put down? Sure. Of course it sucks. Does all this
hand-wringing and supposed empathy from total strangers make any sense
whatsoever? No, not remotely... in fact it's bizarre and seems to be
indicative of how desperate some people are to "be part of" something.

It's a horse.

Well.. it was.
--
Onyx_Hokie

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
Art
2007-01-29 20:23:49 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[...]
Maybe he's afraid she'll ask the tough questions about death and the endness
of it and suffering and .... My daughter on the other hand would probably
ask "Daddy, is horse-meat good to eat?"

Art
Onyx_Hokie
2007-01-29 20:35:08 UTC
[Art (***@email.me)]
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:23:49 -0600]
Post by Art
Maybe he's afraid she'll ask the tough questions about death and the endness
of it and suffering and .... My daughter on the other hand would probably
ask "Daddy, is horse-meat good to eat?"
No no no.. you missed the point of my post entirely. I am not
questioning the little girl's reaction. In fact, I wrote that I
understand that, as I have a little girl of my own.

I *don't* get the cards and flowers sent by the throngs of American Idol
fans, as if Barbaro could either read the cards or be touched by the
flowers.

a***@redshark.goodshow.net
2007-01-30 16:26:25 UTC
Post by Art
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[...]
Sounds like my house...

Kid: "Daddy, what is for dinner"
Me: "Pork Chops"
Kid: "What are pork chops made out of?"
Me: "pig"
Kid: "I like pig... and cow"
Aaron
WiNK
2007-01-29 21:36:25 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:44:33 -0700]
<gp>
Damn. I had better not tell my daughter. :-(
Please explain this reaction to me, as well as the bits with the cards
and flowers, etc. Note that I'm not criticizing Anna, as she's a little
girl and little girls are often silly, overly-emotional, etc. If my
daughter was old enough (or watched enough TV) to know what Barbaro was,
she'd probably be sad, too. The cards and flowers make no sense,
though, at all.. in any Universe. Barbaro couldn't read.
It's a horse.
Yes, Bryan....but IT'S A KID that sent the card.

Peach
Onyx_Hokie
2007-01-29 21:46:13 UTC
[WiNK (***@yahoooooo.com)]
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:36:25 -0700]
Post by WiNK
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:44:33 -0700]
<gp>
Damn. I had better not tell my daughter. :-(
Please explain this reaction to me, as well as the bits with the cards
and flowers, etc. Note that I'm not criticizing Anna, as she's a little
girl and little girls are often silly, overly-emotional, etc. If my
daughter was old enough (or watched enough TV) to know what Barbaro was,
she'd probably be sad, too. The cards and flowers make no sense,
though, at all.. in any Universe. Barbaro couldn't read.
It's a horse.
Yes, Bryan....but IT'S A KID that sent the card.
Darling, I'm referring to the MOUNTAIN of flowers/cards that appeared at
the horse's stable after the leg incident.

Jon Enslin
2007-01-29 21:47:35 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:36:25 -0700]
Post by WiNK
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:44:33 -0700]
<gp>
Damn. I had better not tell my daughter. :-(
Please explain this reaction to me, as well as the bits with the cards
and flowers, etc. Note that I'm not criticizing Anna, as she's a little
girl and little girls are often silly, overly-emotional, etc. If my
daughter was old enough (or watched enough TV) to know what Barbaro was,
she'd probably be sad, too. The cards and flowers make no sense,
though, at all.. in any Universe. Barbaro couldn't read.
It's a horse.
Yes, Bryan....but IT'S A KID that sent the card.
Darling, I'm referring to the MOUNTAIN of flowers/cards that appeared at
the horse's stable after the leg incident.
"Darling???"

Southern England???

Jon
Onyx_Hokie
2007-01-29 22:14:56 UTC
[Jon Enslin (***@charter.net)]
[29 Jan 2007 13:47:35 -0800]
Post by Jon Enslin
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:36:25 -0700]
Post by WiNK
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:44:33 -0700]
<gp>
Damn. I had better not tell my daughter. :-(
Please explain this reaction to me, as well as the bits with the cards
and flowers, etc. Note that I'm not criticizing Anna, as she's a little
girl and little girls are often silly, overly-emotional, etc. If my
daughter was old enough (or watched enough TV) to know what Barbaro was,
she'd probably be sad, too. The cards and flowers make no sense,
though, at all.. in any Universe. Barbaro couldn't read.
It's a horse.
Yes, Bryan....but IT'S A KID that sent the card.
Darling, I'm referring to the MOUNTAIN of flowers/cards that appeared at
the horse's stable after the leg incident.
"Darling???"
Southern England???
I've used that word before!

[WiNK (***@yahoo.com)]
[Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:28:46 -0600]

:I'm gettin' by, Mr. Slick! But if you're paying attention to these
posts,
:I'm in the middle of a sex change operation or something. ODL!11!!!
heh heh
:heh
:
:We've missed you! And hey....there are *two rolls* of film still
sitting on
:my counter in the kitchen....actually, four....but only two that have
your
:name on them. How sad is that? But now that you're back!!
:
:Peach

Well, get with the e-mailin' to me, darlin', and I'll give ya my snail
mail addy.. looking forward to those pics!
--
Bryan S. Slick, bryan_s at slick-family dot net

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Oh, and by the way, WENDY... WHERE'S MY DAMBED FILM???

;)

WiNK
2007-01-29 22:47:10 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[29 Jan 2007 13:47:35 -0800]
Post by Jon Enslin
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:36:25 -0700]
Post by WiNK
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[...]
It's developed and in a photo album!!!!1!11 I can always scan them and
email, you know. ;-)

Peach
Onyx_Hokie
2007-01-29 22:53:23 UTC
[WiNK (***@yahoooooo.com)]
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:47:10 -0700]
Post by WiNK
It's developed and in a photo album!!!!1!11 I can always scan them and
email, you know. ;-)
Please do. Replace .cem with .com in my email address.

WiNK
2007-01-29 22:52:07 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:36:25 -0700]
Post by WiNK
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[...]
Well, yes, it's silly....I thought that when Anna said she wanted to make
him a card and draw a picture (and it wasn't for the owners--she could care
less about humans--heh.) I remember when I saw the footage of Barbaro
running...then continuing to attempt to run after he broke his leg. It was
heartwrenching to see it. Some people have commented that people send cards
when there is nothing else they can do... heck, *we* make cards for our cat
on her birthday....hang a stocking for her....give her a present for both
Christmas and her birthday. No, she doesn't even know one day from the
next, but it's our family member. I think people pour a lot of love and
care into animals, because in a world like the one we're living in, animals
are the only loving beasts. ;-)

Peach
Onyx_Hokie
2007-01-29 22:55:51 UTC
[WiNK (***@yahoooooo.com)]
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:52:07 -0700]
Post by WiNK
heck, *we* make cards for our cat
on her birthday....hang a stocking for her....give her a present for both
Christmas and her birthday. No, she doesn't even know one day from the
next, but it's our family member. I think people pour a lot of love and
care into animals, because in a world like the one we're living in, animals
are the only loving beasts. ;-)
doh.

Trouble has a Christmas stocking.

It's a cat.

Jefferson N. Glapski
2007-01-31 01:30:29 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:52:07 -0700]
Post by WiNK
heck, *we* make cards for our cat
on her birthday....hang a stocking for her....give her a present for both
Christmas and her birthday. No, she doesn't even know one day from the
next, but it's our family member. I think people pour a lot of love and
care into animals, because in a world like the one we're living in, animals
are the only loving beasts. ;-)
doh.
Trouble has a Christmas stocking.
It's a cat.
Horse dung >>>>>> cats.
--
"I'm not really 'Canadian', but Albertan, [w]hich is a very different
thing."
-Colby Cosh
Ralph Kennedy
2007-01-30 00:03:54 UTC
Post by WiNK
Post by Onyx_Hokie
<gp>
Damn. I had better not tell my daughter. :-(
Please explain this reaction to me, as well as the bits with the cards
and flowers, etc. Note that I'm not criticizing Anna, as she's a little
girl and little girls are often silly, overly-emotional, etc. If my
daughter was old enough (or watched enough TV) to know what Barbaro was,
she'd probably be sad, too. The cards and flowers make no sense,
though, at all.. in any Universe. Barbaro couldn't read.
It's a horse.
Yes, Bryan....but IT'S A KID that sent the card.
YEAH BUT JUS LIK3 2 R0N65 D0 N0T MAK3 A R1TE,
2 1LL1TERAT35 D0 N0T MAK3 A SAVANT!@!!

NO THE SMART K1ND 0F SAVANT N0T THE DUMN K1ND!@!!!

--Ralph Kennedy {ames,gatech,husc6,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!kennedy
{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,oddjob}--^
^---------------The Wrong Choice
internet: ***@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Trent Woodruff
2007-01-29 23:06:47 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[...]
Remember...wakes, funerals and any preparatory bereavement are not for
the dying/dead...they are for the living.

..."I am certain that most Americans find your whining unbecoming of an NCO.
Thank you for quitting. This country doesn't need your kind of leadership.
Your kind weaken national security."
Charles Beauchamp, 25 Nov 06

..."Whatever the standards are today they need to be high enough to
prevent people like you from entering - we've lost enough wars
recently."
Hugh Sullivan, 26 Jan 07
a***@redshark.goodshow.net
2007-01-30 16:23:49 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[...]
I wouldn't care if it was a person - that level of "feeling" for
some famous person you didn't know personally is creepy. It's even
weirder for an animal.
Aaron
Jefferson N. Glapski
2007-01-31 01:27:51 UTC
Post by Onyx_Hokie
[...]
Ironic that someone who posts about their cat could write this.